Group Chief Executive
Job Title: Group Chief Executive
Location: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Contract Type: Permanent
The WRU represents the whole of Welsh rugby, from the international and professional level through to the vitally important community game which forms the beating heart of the sport across the length and breadth of Wales.
In recent years we have enjoyed international success on the field, while our commercial standing has been consolidated with increased levels of turnover, sustained financial security and control of corporate debt.
The national team is in great shape, the Millennium Stadium enjoys an international reputation as a major venue for sport and concerts, while the WRU is now focusing much needed attention on the grassroots level of rugby.
The time is right now for a new CEO to lead the business, the strategy and the game of rugby to its next stage.
This position will be of interest to candidates who embrace complex challenges and who have the strategic and team skills to work closely with senior colleagues, the wider rugby community and key stakeholders to collectively drive the business forward. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Lead the strategic planning process in order to develop a plan for the organisation;
- Provide overall leadership to ensure implementation of the strategic plan;
- Inspire the whole organisation with a strategic vision;
- Support for Business Unit Executives in their leadership of the organisation;
- Questioning intelligently, debating constructively, challenging rigorously and deciding dispassionately;
- The ability to listen sensitively to the views of others; possessing the professional capability, intellect, calibre and track record to gain the trust and respect of other Executives quickly;
- Be well informed about the WRU and the external environment, market sectors and geographies in which it operates, with a strong command of pertinent issues;
- Be capable of supporting the evolution of professional, semi-professional, amateur and complimentary forms of rugby to ensure sustainability and promote participation on and off the field of play;
- Continually seeking to develop and refresh their knowledge and skills to ensure that their contribution to the organisation remains informed and relevant.
- Set the standards and expectations for leadership culture and behaviour;
- Ensure direct reports mobilise resources within their remit to ensure overall achievement of the operational and strategic plan;
- Encourage and reward commitment, innovation and flexibility of contribution from all staff;
- Provide regular business updates to employees;
- Ensure there is a talent pool for succession planning for senior leadership roles.
- Act to maximise the value of the organisation;
- Maintain, protect and develop the organisation's fiscal viability;
- Provide overall leadership of an entrepreneurial culture.
Skills & Experience Required
Ideal candidates will be individuals of considerable influencing skills and authority whose qualities include:
- Independence of mind combined with sound business judgement;
- Good interpersonal skills to engage Executives;
- Strong communication and team management skills;
- International outlook;
- A good track record of achievement in their career to date and with a proven ability to deliver;
- Well-honed diplomatic and political skills in dealing with clubs and regions domestically, and other unions and World Rugby on the international stage;
- An understanding of the vital part played by the clubs at grass roots level. They represent the lifeblood of the game;
- Credibility in the sport and an ability to demonstrate that they possess the requisite skills to ensure the game in Wales can move forward in unison;
- An awareness of the issues that confront the game from the bottom-up;
- Build and maintain positive relationships with partners in the Six Nations and with World Rugby, and the part Wales plays in the delicate ecosystem of international rugby.
Further information about the Welsh Rugby Union can be found on their website, www.wru.co.uk
To engage in a confidential discussion about the role, please contact:
David James - Managing Partner, Executive Search
t: +44 (0)20 7092 6950
To apply, candidates should send the following information to email@example.com.
- Letter of application highlighting motivation for the role and relevant experience
- Details of current remuneration
- Up to date CV
The Welsh Rugby Union Group welcomes applications from all sections of the community irrespective of race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
Opportunities within the Regions
Further opportunities may exist on the regional club websites:
Newport Gwent Dragons