Scott Otten has been handed his first full time contract at the Ospreys
The Ospreys have rewarded Wales Under-20 hooker Scott Otten with his first professional contract. The promising front-rower, who turns 20 this month, has put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal after impressing at the Liberty Stadium towards the end of last season.
He made his regional debut in the Ospreys 34-9 victory over Cardiff Blues and went on to make three more appearances off the bench - before being selected for the Wales Under-20 squad that finished seventh at the Junior World Championships in New Zealand.
Otten becomes the 16th player to re-sign with the Ospreys this summer. He follows fellow Wales age-grade star and Pentrehafod Comprehensive schoolmate Nicky Smith who signed his first professional deal back in April.
The 6ft 1in, 16 stone front-rower played 36 times for Swansea in the Principality Premiership last season before making four appearances at the Junior World Championships - and is delighted to have committed his future to the Ospreys.
He said: "This is an exciting time for me and I'm proud to have signed a professional contract with my home region. I've had an incredible few months, making my senior debut in the PRO12 and going to New Zealand with Wales.
"But I've got to keep my feet on the ground and work hard to make sure it does not all go to waste. The Ospreys have always had a lot of strength in depth in the front row and have developed lots of Welsh internationals so I know I'm in the right place for my career.
"My goal now has to be to establish myself in the senior group and hopefully get more game time over the next couple of seasons. It's going to be tough, there are good hookers in the squad, but with the help of the coaches at the Ospreys hopefully I'll be able to keep developing on and off the field."
Andy Lloyd, Recruitment and Retention Manager, at the region, added: "You look at people like Scott, Nicky Smith, Dan Suter, Sam Davies, who have all broken through over the last year, then we have another crop bubbling just below that. It's really exciting to see these young men coming through the system."
Birthday boy Hallam Amos gets the perfect present with his selection on the wing for Wales ahead of Alex Cuthbert as Warren Gatland's men prepare to face England at Twickenham tomorrow in a crucial pool game of the World Cup
Wales head coach Warren Gatland and captain Sam Warburton say their first prioirty on Sunday in the opening game of the World Cup is to win against Uruguay and not get overly concerned with points difference.
Captain Sam Warburton admits he is devastated for Rhys Webb and Leigh Halfpenny who will both miss the World Cup due to injury but he is confident Wales' strength in depth will see his side bounce back and mount a serious challenge.
Wales assistant coach Shaun Edwards says Wales will go into the World Cup still hurting from the semi-final defeat four years ago in New Zealand. But before that, there is the small matter of Italy, tomorrow at the Millennium Stadium.
They may have been stretched to breaking point by having six players sent to the sin-bin in their opening two matches, but the Scarlets have nonetheless emerged with two successive victories after adding the scalp of Ulster to that of Glasgow Warriors.
The latest news, results and tables from the Blues region
The latest news, results and tables from the Dragons region
The latest news, results and tables from the Ospreys region
The latest news, results and tables from the Scarlets region