Llanelli coach Gareth Jenkins has backed Chris Wyatt to reclaim his Wales place after his late call-up for the summer tour to Australia and New Zealand.
Scarlet lock Wyatt was given the nod ahead of Newport second-row Ian Gough to replace Michael Owen who yesterday lost his race to be included in the Wales squad.
The crocked Pontypridd forward has been battling to recover from a knee ligament problem in time for the tour but has been told he will not recover in time for the two Tests - opening the door for Wyatt after more than a year out of the reckoning.
The 29-year-old lock has been out of favour with Hansen since winning his last cap as a replacement in the defeat to Scotland at the Millennium Stadium in last year's Six Nations.
But club boss Jenkins believes a rejuvenated Wyatt has regained the form that brought him 33 international appearances.
"Personally I don't think he has a lot to prove as there is no doubt that he is a fine player who has shown that on the international field time and again," said Jenkins.
"You can judge players in different environments but at the end of the day a player must deliver on the field and that is what Chris has done for us in the competitive club scene.
"However this is more a chance for him to prove to (Hansen) that he has done what it takes to give himself this chance before the World Cup.
"I think there has been a clear view of Chris' needs as far as Steve Hansen is concerned and he has responded to them superbly.
"Whether he gets his place back in the national side depends on a number of factors but at least he has now got this chance to prove his worth."
Wyatt joins Llanelli partner Vernon Cooper as well as Robert Sidoli and veteran Gareth Llewellyn as Hansen's second-row options for the Tests against the Wallabies in Sydney (June 14) and All Blacks in Hamilton (June 21).
"We wanted to have another middle of the line jumper and that's why we went for Chris. This is a real opportunity for him," said Hansen.
Wyatt made his international debut five years ago as a replacement on the tour to Zimbabwe in 1998 before making his first start against South Africa at Wembley in Graham Henry's first game in charge of Wales.
He is the second player to be called-up to the Wales squad - who face the Barbarians at the Millennium Stadium this Saturday - after uncapped fellow Scarlet Mike Phillips replaced Cardiff scrum-half Ryan Powell after he broke two bones in his hand.
There are, however, still concerns over centre Sonny Parker (broken arm) and prop Gethin Jenkins (ankle) ahead of the tour.
Despite drawing with Ireland in the opening round of the RBS 6 Nations, Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards believes the championship 'is still in our hands' as he prepares his side to face Scotland at Principality Stadium tomorrow.
Meet the members of the WRU's inaugural Youth Board - after an online selection process which saw a host of high calibre candidates submit video applications the WRU has made its first 15 appointments.The board is made up of individuals aged between 16 and 21, and will meet for the first time at Principality Stadium on Monday 15th February.
The Wales Women's team headed to Dare Valley Country Park on a team bonding exercise as the entire squad got together for the very first time in preparation for this season's Six Nations championship which kicks off on Saturday with a clash against defending champions Ireland, in Donnybrook.