Colin Charvis gave a personal reference to seal Gavin Thomas' move to Newport Gwent Dragons.
Charvis spoke to Dragons boss Paul Turner and urged him to snap up the 27-year-old Wales flanker. And Wales' most-capped forward Charvis' support paid off when Turner signed the former Scarlets ace.
Turner said: "Once the Scarlets made their decision, we began our homework on Gavin. It had been said he had an Achilles injury but that hasn't shown up in training for us.
"The information I received about Gavin was good including some feedback from Colin. "He was enthusiastic and said he had always rated him really highly - I was pleased by that.
"I'm delighted to have captured Gavin because it will bolster our pack as we've lost Colin, Richard Parks and Jamie Ringer."
Thomas left the Scarlets after the west Wales region cancelled his contract following a 26-week injury get-out clause.
Now Thomas, capped 22 times by Wales, hopes to resurrect his career alongside fellow new signings Rob Sidoli, Ali McKenzie and Kiwi pair Ben Castle and Danny Lee at Rodney Parade.
Turner added: "Gavin is a top class rugby player and I've watched him a lot since he played for Bath. "He's experienced, a good ball carrier and his defence is excellent. They are all qualities are all traits that I look for in a player.
"I'm confident he will suit our style of play by getting his hands on the ball and bring a new dimension to us."
The Dragons begin their season preparations with friendlies against Worcester and Coventry after a week-long training camp in west Wales next week.
Turner added: "We're going away to Abersyswyth university for some hard rugby training and team-bonding exercises.
"It's a good opportunity for us to get together and in the days of teams heading off to Europe on planes, we will be going on a bus trip. I'm looking forward to it."
WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips hosted the second meeting of the WRU Youth Board last weekend ahead of the Judgement Day IV regional double-header. Tthe board, made up of 15 under-21-year-olds from around Wales, heard presentations from head of participation Ryan Jones, policy and integrity manager Jeremy Rogers and national women's rugby manager Caroline Spanton, with Pro Rugby Wales CEO Mark Davies also on hand to hear the range of views aired.
Wales duo Rhun Williams and Liam Belcher, who makes a welcome return after five months of injury woe, look ahead to next month's World Rugby U20 Championship in Manchester where they will face Ireland, Georgia and New Zealand.
Whenever Bedlinog tackle Penallta a massive fixure is guaranteed but this Sunday there will be even more emphasis placed on the two rivals when they contest the SSE Swalec Plate final at Principality Stadium.
Ahead of their SSE SWALEC Bowl Final clash with Taffs Well at Principality Stadium on Sunday, Burry Port share their #FABXV nomination with WRUTV in the search for Welsh rugby's greatest volunteers. Everyone can get involved by sending nominations via twitter to @WRU_Community using the hashtag #FABXV
Cardiff Blues prop Gethin Jenkins and Ospreys centre Ben John look ahead to the first game at Principality Stadium in Saturday's double header which is promising to be a special occasion for all Welsh fans.
Carmarthen Quins Director of Rugby Ian Jones and committee member Jeff Thomas along with Llandovery chairman Handel Davies look ahead to Sunday's SSE SWALEC Cup showdown where both teams are out to prove 'West is best'
SWALEC ambassador Shane WIlliams is looking forward to Sunday's Finals Day where the Cup, Bowl and Plate offers a great opportunity for players and teams to experience the magic of playing at Principality Stadium
Carmarthen Quins coach Richard Kelly believes it is an exciting time to be part of the Scarlets region as his side take on local rivals Llandovery in the SSE Swalec Cup final on Sunday, as WRU TV's Graeme Gillespie discovers