Executive search business Odgers Berndtson (www.odgersberndtson.co.uk) will help the rugby region seek out a high-flying commercial leader to take the region forward next season. Odgers Berndtson has offices worldwide including Cardiff and London and its own specialist sports division that has acted successfully for the WRU.
One of the top jobs in rugby in Wales, the Scarlets Chief Executive holds a highly influential position at one of Europe's best-known rugby clubs with a rich heritage and some of the game's most passionate supporters.
The vacancy follows current CEO Stuart Gallacher's decision to retire as head of the region at the end of this season after 13 years in the role.
The Scarlets board has issued a clear mandate for the new appointment, with a core focus on strong commercial leadership and the successful delivery of a new five-year business plan for the region.
Huw Evans, chairman of the Scarlets said: "This is a crucial and high profile appointment for our region and as such it is vital that the process of finding our new CEO is open, transparent and the search is cast as wide as possible. That is why we have appointed leading search consultants to the task: they bring not only independence and professionalism, but considerable expertise in recruitment of people into high-profile sports roles.
"Quite simply, we have to find a strong, focused and commercial leader who can run our region effectively next season and beyond. Obviously a background in sport would be a big advantage but we are clear that our first priority is to find a person with great commercial acumen who can shape and deliver our business plan, ensure we are fully engaged with our supporters and rugby community and work closely with our partners and sponsors.
"We have some stretching targets to meet as a rugby region next season and a state-of-the-art stadium to manage and develop with both match and non-match day activities as well as working closely with Carmarthenshire County Council, our partner in Parc y Scarlets.
"This is a highly influential and much sought after role and we have already had direct enquiries from a number of high profile candidates interested in the job.
"We are looking forward to making this appointment in the near future and securing someone with great integrity, energy, enthusiasm, new ideas and experience as well as a strong will to succeed. The new appointment will undoubtedly bring us some fresh impetus next season."
The Scarlets board, led by its funding directors will make the final decision on the appointment and say this will be at the earliest opportunity but not at the expense of securing the right appointment.
The new CEO will lead and manage the entire Scarlets operation effectively aligning the rugby and commercial aspects of the business. The role includes leading a strong commercial team off the field as well as overseeing financial control and contract management within the rugby operation working closely with the Head Coach and Head of Regional Development.
The new role will include setting performance indicators throughout the business with a strong focus on sales and marketing activity to drive revenue as well as strengthening community links throughout the Scarlets rugby region.
Key roles and responsibilities included in the job description are:
• Responsibility for a three-year commercial strategy for the region.
• Strong commercial leadership and clear direction to all employees based on the values of the region and its commercial goals.
• Responsibility for a highly focused sales and marketing strategy - achieving match and non match day revenue targets, retail targets and full use of region's new customer relationship management system.
• Management of budgets and reporting to funding directors and board to support business plan objectives.
• Working closely with Financial Director on financial control.
• Alignment of the commercial and rugby aspects of the business.
• Participation and membership of committees and working parties including ensuring the region's interests and ethos are effectively represented and protected.
• Ensure operational running of the stadium and its facilities are carried out effectively.