Richie Rees will not appeal against his 12-week suspension
Having received the written submission from the ERC regarding the 12-week ban imposed on scrum-half Richie Rees, Cardiff Blues will not be appealing against the decision.
An independent Disciplinary Hearing in Dublin on Thursday, 6th January, 2011, upheld a citing complaint made by the Citing Commissioner for the match, Murray Whyte, that Richie Rees had made contact with the eye area of Northampton Saints hooker, Dylan Hartley.
Rees pleaded not guilty to the complaint on the basis that any contact had been accidental. However, the independent Judicial Officer, Pat Barriscale (Ireland), reviewed all of the evidence and concluded Rees was guilty of foul play in contravention of Law 10.4(m) in that he had made contact with the eye/eye area of Mr Hartley.
The Judicial Officer found that the contact had been reckless but not intentional and also found that the offending was at the low end of the level of seriousness for an offence of this type, and having taken into account all aggravating and mitigating factors imposed a suspension of 12 weeks.
Rees is free to play again on 31st March 2011.
Speaking of the decision Rees said; "Having sought legal advice, with the support of the Blues and WRU, we have decided not to appeal against the decision.
"Naturally I am disappointed at the outcome of the hearing and to be suspended for 12 weeks. Missing out on the Six Nations and some crucial games for the Cardiff Blues is hugely disappointing and hard to accept.
"I felt it was worth looking at the possibility of an appeal as I am desperate to play for the Blues and Wales and naturally feel frustrated and disappointed at the outcome.
"However, I will now be concentrating on training hard in anticipation of the Magners League run in for the Blues in March and April and hopefully can still be part of the Rugby World Cup preparations with Wales."
Beating Merthyr has boosted Carmarthen Quins hopes of reaching a top eight spot in the Principality Premiership. Quins captain Haydn Pugh is delighted with his team's progress and is determined that everyone from the Under 6s through to the senior team, enjoys the ride.
When the Wales squad were asked to nominate individuals who played a big part in their early playing days, Wales and Dragons full back and wing Hallam Amos thought of his former Monmouth School rugby coach John Bevan.
Sam Cross and Luke Treharne have been named as co-captains of the Wales Sevens side as head coach Gareth Williams names his 12-man squad to play in the first leg of the HSBC World Series in Dubai next weekend.
Bedwas head coach Steve Law and players Nicky Griffiths and Alun Rees extol the virtues of the close knit club as they prepare to host third place RGC 1404 - who are one place head of them on the Principality Premiership points table - on Saturday.
Many of the Wales squad have said Diolch (thank you) to someone who played an important part in their early playing days by nominating them to be invited to the Wales v South Africa match. One person, Gowerton Comprehensive geography teacher Mr Dean Mason was nominated by two of his former pupils, Dan Biggar and Sam Davies.
The second WRU disability rugby pilot has been delivered, this time in Caerphilly schools, culminating in a festival at the Caerphilly Centre of Sporting Excellence, Ystrad Mynach tomorrow. Plans are in place to set up a Disability Rugby Club in Newbridge to provide long-term playing opportunities.
WRU TV: Hear from inside the Wales camp as Neil Jenkins discusses this weekend's clash with South Africa and how the squad are looking to put in a strong performance to round of the 2016 Under Armour Series