The Ospreys are adding Rynier Bernardo to their ranks in the summer
The Ospreys have swooped for South African lock Rynier Bernardo, signing the 22-year-old on a three-year deal.
The second-row who stands at six feet six inches, will link-up with the four-time RaboDirect PRO12 champions at the start of next season.
Pretoria-born Bernardo impressed in his 10 games for the Southern Kings in last year's Super Rugby season and more recently for the Eastern Province Kings in South Africa's Currie Cup.
The Ospreys see Bernardo as a replacement for their departing Wales and British Lions international Ian Evans, who will leave the region for French giant Toulon at the end of the season.
"This is a fantastic opportunity for me, personally and professionally, and I'm really excited about arriving in Wales this summer," said Bernardo. "The Ospreys are a great team used to competing at the top end of the PRO12, with some great players, and I'm looking forward to being a part of a young and talented squad there.
"It's a big challenge for me, but I can't wait to get started. Hopefully I'll be able to make a big impression and help the team to more success, domestically and in European competition."
Bernardo is the Ospreys' fourth new recruit ahead of next season. Steve Tandy and co have already signed Fiji centre Josh Matavesi from Worcester and Wales international full-back Dan Evans and his Newport Gwent Dragons team-mate, hooker Sam Parry.
"Rynier is an exciting addition to our squad and something of a coup for the Ospreys," said Andy Lloyd, rugby operations manager at the Ospreys. "He is highly respected in his home country and comes with a strong reputation as a traditional second row who tackles well, hits rucks, and has the all-round physical edge that you expect from a South African in that position.
"He's a big man who thrives on the unglamorous side of the game and will do the work that doesn't get seen, allowing our back row boys and the backs to express themselves.
"Our feedback tells us he is extremely highly regarded as a potential future Springbok. That kind of attitude is exactly what we want in an Osprey."
Wales Sevens are looking to re-group after a disappointing tournament last time out in South Africa. The next double leg in New Zealand and Las Vegas offers Gareth Williams a chance to redeem themselves.
Wales Women's head coach Rhys Edwards was at Llandovery to see the conclusion of an entertaining Women's Regional championship where any one of three teams were in contention for title glory on the last day of action.
Christmas has come early at Glynneath rugby club, one of a number around Wales who have received an array of merchandise and equipment this December courtesy of the Welsh Rugby Union's £750,000 participation points scheme.
The WRU have been delivering on the scheme - which gives individual clubs access to up to £5,000 worth of supplies and equipment each for the 2014/2015 season - over the last two weeks and today (Friday) were received by a special guest in Glynneath, club president and pitch marker Max Boyce.
As the countdown continues for RWC2015, Tournament Chief Executive Debbie Jevans visited the Millennium Stadium to discuss preparations for the eight matches and reveal the positive news that 100,000 tickets for games at the home of Welsh rugby have sold in the last seven days.
Jason Harries is targeting a first win on the World Series circuit this season with Wales. The series returns to action this weekend in Dubai where Harries is part of a team hoping to build from its efforts in round one in October.
Wales skipper Jevon Groves says his side have addressed a few points from Gold Coast and aim to 'hit the ground running' in the next two rounds of the World Series, kicking off with this weekend in Dubai before heading off to South Africa next week.
Wales Sevens manager Steff Thomas is hopeful his side can build from a quarter-final spot in the opening round of the World Series in Australia when his side take part in the forthcoming double header in Dubai and South Africa.