Steve Tandy has confirmed Arhip will be out of action for four to six months
The Ospreys have been dealt a blow after prop forward Dimitri Arhip was ruled out for up to six months.
Arhip started in the 27-10 pre-season defeat to Bath last weekend but ruptured his Achilles and now faces an extended period on the sidelines.
"Dimitri has ruptured his Achilles and is probably looking at four to six months out," said Ospreys head coach Steve Tandy.
"It's extremely disappointing. Bath may have had the edge on us up front in the scrums, but it was Dimitri's first start and with the work he did around the park, putting in some really physical tackles, there's a bright future for him."
With Wales international Aaron Jarvis also currently sidelined, the Ospreys are considering including British & Irish Lions ace Adam Jones in their squad to face Benetton Treviso on Saturday.
Up and coming tight-head prop Joe Rees is another option, as are the Ospreys' Wales Under-20 front-row starlets.
"Touch wood, Aaron is not too far away," said Tandy.
"We'd have liked him back for Bath, but he kept having tiny setbacks around his knee. He's started to do a few units with us, so hopefully he won't be longer than two to three weeks away.
"We have Adam, Joe Rees and a couple of under-20s props. We have plenty of options. Daniel Suter is an option, Adam is an option, Joe Rees is an option and so is Nicky Thomas, the under-20s' tight-head. So we have options going into Treviso."
And Tandy reckons the region is slowly developing successors for Triple Grand Slammer Jones.
"Obviously it's going to be difficult to get someone of Adam's calibre, but we have to strive to get the next one," added the former flanker.
"We have Joe Rees, who's an up-and-coming tight-head. We have an international tight-head in Aaron Jarvis, who had done pretty well before his injury last autumn.
"We have two guys in the Wales Under-20s and over the years we have consistently brought tight-heads through the system. Fingers crossed, we'll get another Adam at some point."
Porthcawl recently received a WRU facilities grant and funding from Natwest RugbyForce in order to give their changing rooms a facelift. This came after receiving £10,000 in a WRU facilities grant last year to tarmac their car park. The improvements have already helped to make the club more accessible, not only for their own members and players but for the whole community.
The Welsh Rugby Union has launched a new, accredited Safeguarding and Protecting Children course - funded by the WRU and delivered in partnership with Sport Wales and the NSPCC - fo rugby club volunteers around Wales.
The SWALEC semi-final draws threw up some mouth-watering clashes in the Cup, Plate and Bowl as the 12 teams aim for the Millennium Stadium Finals Day. All the semi-finals are to be played on the weekend of April 12.
Welsh whistler Rhys Thomas continues to scale the heights of the game as he prepares to be an official in this weekend's Hong Kong Sevens tournament, undoubtedly the showpiece event on the World Series calendar.
Wales International Ian Evans and Wales and Lions legend Scott Quinnell swapped rugby balls for paint pots at Tonna during the RBS 6 Nations. They surprised club players with a special clubhouse makeover to launch NatWest RugbyForce 2014 - a programme developed in partnership with the WRU to make rugby clubs stronger businesses by improving and renovating their facilities with the support of volunteers and the local community.
Fresh from claiming the Bowl honours in Tokyo last Sunday, the Wales Sevens squad have settled into their routine as they prepare for this weekend's Hong Kong tournament where Iolo Evans is aiming high, as WRU TV's Graeme Gillespie discovers.
The Welsh Rugby Union has recently teamed up with Prostate Cymru to help the charity launch its latest campaign to raise awareness of the disease. Members of the Wales squad helped produce a short video and promotional material for the campaign titled 'The Best Defence - is to know the FACTS'.