On the day the new 100% Playdry Polyester, mechanical stretch, breathable shirts are used by players for the first time, WRU bosses are also boosted by the news that the traditional 'Welsh red' equivalent shirt is now the fastest selling in WRU history.
Both versions of the shirts feature the new Brains beer logo; the red version was seen in action for the first time during Wales 29-29 draw with Australia at the Millennium Stadium earlier this month. That shirt is now officially the fastest selling in the history of the game in Wales with tens of thousands being whipped off the shelves in the past two months alone.
Commercial experts say the new replica tops are on course to break through the 200,000 sales mark - smashing all previous sales records for a Wales shirt.
WRU Head of Group Commercial and Business Development, Rupert Moon, commented: "Wales have always had one of the top selling shirts in world rugby, but the fans just don't seem to be able to snap up these new replicas quickly enough".
"For us to break all previous sales records in the first two months is quite incredible and that's before fans have seen this new steel coloured kit in action. We are expecting the steel versions to be just as popular, bearing in mind that we haven't begun Christmas sales yet."
"We believed the new style shirts would be popular, because they are almost exactly the same as the kit you see on the player's backs on a match day. Also, we have the supporters jersey, which is a looser fitting version, so there is something for everyone. Now you can get all the benefits from the clothing technology employed to keep the players contented, so the kit is nothing but top quality product."
The Millennium Stadium have an "Autumn Offer" (available until the end of November) on all Wales shirts; priced at £55 for the Test Jersey, Replica Jersey £40, Junior Test £40, Junior Replica £30, Infant Replica £25. The best place to buy a jersey is at the WRU Megastore, Gate 3 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff or www.wru.co.uk/shop.
WRU Players Shirt 06/08
• Steel colourway to reflect the strong Welsh determination.
• Durable 100% Playdry Polyester with mechanical stretch and breathability for improved technical performance.
• New tighter fit which when combined with new fabric enhances comfort, durability and performance and reduces opponents ability to pull the shirt.
• Panels to body are engineered into the fabric to reduce chaffing and improve comfort.
• Ribbed structure to sides and lower back to provide added support.
• Jacquard mesh structure feathers to back to illustrate club emblem and along with mesh structure panels to shoulders add more ventilation in the areas that need it most.
• Crew neck collar to enhance fit and comfort.
• Displaced sides seams for added comfort.