With John Toshack's first game in charge of the Wales national football side to be played at the Millennium Stadium on Wednesday night, and the Carling Cup Final between Liverpool and Chelsea scheduled for Cardiff on Sunday, 27 February, Sergeant has taken the following steps to not only repair the damage caused at the weekend, but to enhance the playing surface: · The pitch contractors, In-Turf, have been suspended
· A new team of pitch consultants have been brought in to work under the guidance of Dave Saltman, who spent four months at the stadium last year
· 200 - 250 metres of new turf will arrive at the stadium on Tuesday morning to replace the damaged areas
· Paul Sergeant has spoken to the FAW and Football League to keep them abreast of developments and liaised with the Sports Turf Research Institute over the difficulties "What happened during the game last Saturday was unfortunate and embarrassing. We can't hide from the facts and we can't make excuses," said Sergeant. "What we have done since the game ended on Saturday night is discuss the issues with our contractors, introduce a new team of experts who have experience of managing our palletised system and looked for the best possible solution for Wednesday night's game. "It is imperative that John Toshack's side can have confidence in the playing surface when they meet Hungary on Wednesday night and I believe they will be happy with the measures we are taking. Football obviously does not put the same pressure on the turf as rugby, but the players must have a safe, playable surface on which to play. "That's our immediate priority and we will be working through the night on Tuesday and all day Wednesday to ensure the pitch is in the best possible condition for the game. Looking further forward, we will continue to consult with STRI and the Football League ahead of the Carling Cup Final. "There are technical reasons behind some of the failures of the pitch system last weekend and we will be doing all we can to find the right solutions to them. The best stadium in the world must have a suitable playing surface for all its events."
As the countdown continues for RWC2015, Tournament Chief Executive Debbie Jevans visited the Millennium Stadium to discuss preparations for the eight matches and reveal the positive news that 100,000 tickets for games at the home of Welsh rugby have sold in the last seven days.
Jason Harries is targeting a first win on the World Series circuit this season with Wales. The series returns to action this weekend in Dubai where Harries is part of a team hoping to build from its efforts in round one in October.
Wales skipper Jevon Groves says his side have addressed a few points from Gold Coast and aim to 'hit the ground running' in the next two rounds of the World Series, kicking off with this weekend in Dubai before heading off to South Africa next week.
Wales Sevens manager Steff Thomas is hopeful his side can build from a quarter-final spot in the opening round of the World Series in Australia when his side take part in the forthcoming double header in Dubai and South Africa.