Celtic Warriors have wasted not time in looking to re-strengthen their squad by agreeing in principle a deal with All Black wing Caleb Ralph.
The Canterbury Crusader has confirmed that he will join the Warriors on a two-year deal this August providing that he is not selected by Graham Henry and Steve Hansen to tour with the All Blacks this autumn.
Ralph, 26, is seen as a natural successor to Dafydd James, who had his transfer request accepted by coach Lynn Howells earlier in the year, though his arrival will also go some way to compensating for the loss of Gareth Thomas if he does move to Toulouse.
The Warriors had originally ruled out a move for Ralph because of his excessive wage demands, having also made tentative enquires with Australia star Joe Roff, but yesterday reached an agreement with the Super 12 flyer over his salary.
"After some negotiations, Caleb has confirmed that he will join us later in the year, though that obviously depends on whether or not he is selected for the All Blacks tour," said a Warriors spokesman.
"We made no secret that we were looking to strengthen in the wing/full-back area but this will be a huge signing for us, if he comes, as he is an international class player."
Ralph, who scored eight international tries, won the last four of his 14 All Black caps at the World Cup having made his Test debut back in 1998 when aged just 20.
A former New Zealand schools, Colts and Sevens international, he has never played a senior Test against Wales though was part of the New Zealand A team that beat a Wales XV 30-9 at the Millennium Stadium in 2000.
Meanwhile there was more good news for the Warriors with tight-head prop Chris Horsman, who qualifies for Wales on residency grounds next May, singing a two-year extension to his current contract that will him with the Warriors until 2007.
Wales Sevens are looking to re-group after a disappointing tournament last time out in South Africa. The next double leg in New Zealand and Las Vegas offers Gareth Williams a chance to redeem themselves.
Wales Women's head coach Rhys Edwards was at Llandovery to see the conclusion of an entertaining Women's Regional championship where any one of three teams were in contention for title glory on the last day of action.
Christmas has come early at Glynneath rugby club, one of a number around Wales who have received an array of merchandise and equipment this December courtesy of the Welsh Rugby Union's £750,000 participation points scheme.
The WRU have been delivering on the scheme - which gives individual clubs access to up to £5,000 worth of supplies and equipment each for the 2014/2015 season - over the last two weeks and today (Friday) were received by a special guest in Glynneath, club president and pitch marker Max Boyce.
As the countdown continues for RWC2015, Tournament Chief Executive Debbie Jevans visited the Millennium Stadium to discuss preparations for the eight matches and reveal the positive news that 100,000 tickets for games at the home of Welsh rugby have sold in the last seven days.
Jason Harries is targeting a first win on the World Series circuit this season with Wales. The series returns to action this weekend in Dubai where Harries is part of a team hoping to build from its efforts in round one in October.
Wales skipper Jevon Groves says his side have addressed a few points from Gold Coast and aim to 'hit the ground running' in the next two rounds of the World Series, kicking off with this weekend in Dubai before heading off to South Africa next week.
Wales Sevens manager Steff Thomas is hopeful his side can build from a quarter-final spot in the opening round of the World Series in Australia when his side take part in the forthcoming double header in Dubai and South Africa.