Former Wales international Jason Jones-Hughes has lost his long fight against injury after being ordered to quit rugby once and for all.
The injury-prone centre underwent make or break surgery on his lower back in Ireland in a bid to save his career.
But the Australian-born Wales international has now been told by doctors to hang up his boots or risk crippling injury.
"Unfortunately I have been advised to retire from rugby on medical grounds, so it was obviously the best thing to do," said the 27-year-old.
"I have had a fair few injuries over the last few years so I know what they are all about, they are a reality of a contact sport like rugby where players' careers are becoming shorter and shorter. But it's still very disappointing when it comes to retiring."
Jones-Hughes, who runs a development company in Cardiff, spent last season at Munster after four years at Newport.
The former Wallaby Under-21 star switched allegiance to Wales when he was included in Graham Henry's squad for the 1999 World Cup.
He went on to earn just three caps for Wales, the last appearance coming against France in 2000, due to a catalogue of knee and ankle problems.
Meanwhile Munster have confirmed the signing of Neath-Swansea Ospreys centre James Storey as Jones-Hughes successor.
English-born Storey toured South Africa with Wales in 2002 but did not get capped.
The Webb Ellis Cup visited Lampeter on Monday to recognise the fact that the town is celebrating a major milestone as it is believed the first ever game of rugby played in Wales, was in fact played in Lampeter 150 years ago.
Cardiff Blues U18 Girls will go into Sunday's Gemau Cymru with an extra spring in their step after Welsh internationals Elinor Snowsill and Philippa Tuttiett offered some last minute tips at a training session earlier this week.
Rob Howley and Josh Lewsey addressed more than 250 community club coaches and referees at the first WRU National Community Conference on the weekend. The volunteers benefitted from coaching masterclasses and workshops in a bid to connect all levels of the rugby pathway in Wales.
UEFA has today confirmed the Football Association of Wales (FAW) has been successful in its bid for the Millennium Stadium to host the 2017 UEFA Champions League Final on Saturday 3rd June, 2017 (kick-off: 19.45hrs GMT).